WEDNESDAY 23 JULY 2014 // 19:30-21:30 // £10 // BOOTSTRAP COMPANY, THE PRINT HOUSE, E8 3DL // SPEAKERS: KATI RUSSELL — D&AD / OLIVER CHAPMAN — STUDIO MOROSS / JOEL GETHIN LEWIS — HELLICAR & LEWIS / TOMMY SAHL — KANO
From the Internet to 3D printing, to the world’s first 3D printed gun and the continued disruption of the music industry — the digital world has enabled the discipline of design to permeate culture in a multitude of ways.
Design thinking and innovative practice are ideal playmates, having been adopted by both mainstream companies and start-ups alike. So what does this mean for designers and their future in the digital world? And how can they in turn influence the world of technology to inject humanity into the ever-connected experience?
‘What is the role of the 21st century designer?’ is a panel discussion that poses a series of questions with a view to gaining an understanding of the opportunities and pitfalls at hand.
– Will design disciplines merge in the future, with less distinction between 2D and 3D?
– Will designers become the new start-up founders of the future – like the AirBnB founders?
– How will designers ensure their place in shaping tomorrow’s new businesses?
– Will the trend of designers’ forays into reinvigorating the publishing industry continue?
– What role will culture play in how technology works in the real world?
– And do today’s designers really grasp the opportunities at hand, or will they simply get left behind in the technological revolution?
Join us in a panel talk to discuss the pressing issues that are set to reshape the design profession, as we know it.
Book your tickets here.
What is the role of the 21st century designer? is part of the LBB Pop-Up School programme. Running from 21 July – 3 August 2014.